Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Beauty Reborn


Lat year I decorated some empty tin cans, filled them with stones and a large paper white bulb and gave them to friends at Christmas. This one was leftover so I kept this one for myself. After it bloomed I kept it on the kitchen counter behind the sink with some potted plants. Basically, I ignored the little spent bulb all year content to enjoy looking at the pretty bird now and then. Last week when I was giving the kitchen counters a pre-Thanksgiving wipe down I was going to throw out the old bulb and plant a new one when lo and behold I noticed a tiny bright green shoot peeking out from the old brown stem. My little bulb was coming back! I couldn't believe it...I hadn't added water to it in a year and here it was struggling to grow! I added some water to the bottom of the can and just look at it...it shot up this much in less than a week!

"It is not more surprising to be born once twice than once; everything in nature is resurrection." Voltaire