Monday, November 1, 2010

Journalfest


Journalfest is like Artfest but the focus is on journaling...making journals, sharing journals or just finding out what journaling is all about. It's put on by Teesha Moore and held at Fort Worden near Port Townsend. A few weeks ago I realized I was going to have a day off during Journalfest so I wrote Teesha and asked her if I could come for just the day. She graciously said yes! I chose a class by Katherine England who turned out to be a delightful teacher. The class was called Oz in a Box. I think that's one of the reasons I chose the class...I love the old Oz books. The other was that I would get to actually make my own journal and learn Coptic binding...something I've been wanting to try for awhile now. The class was wonderful...Katherine was a warm and generous teacher and I'm just thrilled with how my journal turned out. Because the journals are expected to get a lot of use (note to self...use your journal!) the spine is bound with leather...so you can't SEE the Coptic binding. But, it's under there...and I hope to make another journal soon and leave the binding uncovered. Katherine gave us each a cigar box to house our journals and I can happily report it's been out of the box several times already. I find that I really like the size...it's small...about 5" x 7"... but substantial.